[vtkusers] Compiling vtk on an nvidia card

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:18:25 EDT 2007

You have to install the nvidia propietary drivers to take the best
performance of your nvidia GPU. Depending wether linux distro you are using
it will be easier or harder. In most desktop oriented distros ( *ubuntu,
mandriva, suse,... ) you should have the drivers availible in a package (
rpm or deb ). If your distro does not provide any nvidia propietary driver
package you can go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and download
the binary and follow the instructions.

The general process to install the drivers is the following

Make sure you have the source code of your current kernel installed ( the
stripped version is enough )
Install the drivers ( via package or via binary )
Configure the xorg.conf file to load the correct driver

In my case I use Mandriva and it is as simple as adding to the urpmi
database the plf-nonfree repository and type "urpmi nvidia" (with the X
server shut down).