[vtkusers] problems installing shared libraries on OSX

Garry Willgoose Garry.Willgoose at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Jun 27 20:46:05 EDT 2007

I'm trying to make the shared libraries for use with Python on OSX
10.4.10 with Xcode 2.3. The cmake window is

BUILD_EXAMPLES                   ON
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.4
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES          i386
CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT                /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY             -framework Python
PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH              /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Headers
PYTHON_LIBRARY                   -framework Python
VTK_APPLE_RESOURCE               /Developer/Tools/Rez
VTK_DATA_ROOT                    VTK_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
VTK_USE_CARBON                   ON
VTK_USE_COCOA                    OFF
VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER            OFF
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
VTK_USE_RPATH                    OFF
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    OFF
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  ON
VTK_WRAP_TCL                     OFF

The make appears to be OK right up to near the end when I get the
following error

Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/GraphicsCxxTests
[ 99%] Built target GraphicsCxxTests
[ 99%] Converting Tcl test
Converting /Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Graphics/Testing/Tcl/
capSphere.tcl
Conversion failed!
make[2]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/conversion_complete] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/CMakeFiles/
GraphicsPythonTests.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

On a perhaps related issue if I change so it uses COCOA and not
CARBON (I thought I'd try that because I thought Carbon wasn't
supported on Intel) I get the cmake error

CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Utilities/TclTk/internals/CMakeLists.txt:2:
Unknown CMake command "VTK_GET_TCL_TK_VERSION".

I assume both errors are related because they both appear to be
preparing Tcl/Tk interfaces even though I have not requested Tcl/Tk
wrappers. The prior mention of Tcl code in the make is compiling
vtkTclTest2Py. As an aside I have Tcl/Tk 8.4.13 installed because I
do some occasional stuff with it ... but I didn't request Tcl/Tk
wrappers in cmake.

BTW A non shared/no python wrappers make generates the 2nd error.

Prof Garry Willgoose,
Australian Professorial Fellow in Environmental Engineering,
School of Engineering, The University of Newcastle,
Callaghan, 2308
Australia.

Telluric Research, 100 Barton Street,
Scone, 2337
Australia.
ABN 13 132 312 352

Phone: (International) +61 2 4921 6050 (Tues-Thurs); +61 2 6545 9574
(Fri-Mon)
FAX: (International) +61 2 4921 6991 (Uni); +61 2 6545 9574 (personal
and Telluric)
Env. Engg. Secretary: (International) +61 2 4921 6042
WWW  :  www.telluricresearch.com

email:  g.willgoose at telluricresearch.com;
garry.willgoose at newcastle.edu.au
email-for-life: garry.willgoose at alum.mit.edu
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail"
                           Ralph Waldo Emerson