[vtkusers] AMR and HierarchicalDataSet

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jun 5 23:47:53 EDT 2007

Hi Peter,

I am not sure I fully understand your question. You want to create one
unstructured grid to represent your AMR dataset or a hierarchy of
unstructured grids?
I know that the vtm file format is not ideal due to the number of
files (specially if you have millions of files). There are a few file
formats out there that may be useful. I know that Jean Favre from CSCS
has a reader for a format that uses HDF5 under the cover. The spyplot
file format also supports multiple block in one file. The new Xdmf
file format (coming soon) also supports single file. All of these are
for rectilinear files though.

-berk

On 5/24/07, Peter Delmont <Peter.Delmont at wis.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I`m having a problem with the vtkHierarchicalDataSet.  I got it
> working with structured data, but I`m not completely pleased because
> of a few shortcomings.  The most annoying problem is, that I seem to
> have to put euch grid in its own separate file.  I hope it`s somehow
> possible to get rid of this millions of files, it slows down
> everything. If not, I`d like to replace it by the unstructured
> equivalent.  The problem is that I dont know which attributes are
> associated with a DataSet.
> My questions are the following: Do there exist possibilities to get
> rid of the millions of files?   What  does a .vtm file for
> unstructured grids looks like?  Does it exist?  Does somebody has an
> example of such a file?  It would be really helpful, because I really
> have no idea how to find it out.  (I don`t know what the equivalent of
> the 'amr_box' is.)
>
> I appreciate all kind of comments, hints or help.
>
> Best Regards,
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

 Berk Geveci