[vtkusers] Problems with TIFF Writer while writing a volume

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jul 31 23:23:01 EDT 2007

It's unclear what you mean by "write out the filter result as a
volume". If you mean write it out as a sequence of 50 8-bit tiff
images, then you need to use:

volumeWriter->SetFilePrefix("test_volume");
volumeWriter->SetFilePattern("%s%d.tif");
volumeWriter->SetFileDimensionality(2);
volumeWriter->Write();

Unfortunately, this is broken last I checked, and you're program will
likely crash. However, I submitted a bug with a fix back in October
2006 (http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3917&pos=1) which
contains a working version of vtkTIFFWriter.cxx that makes the above
code work. You could grab that if you'd like and recompile. My fix
merely duplicates what vtkPNGWriter and vtkJPGWriter do when saving a
volume as a sequence of images.

If, on the other hand, you mean that you want a single file containing
all of the images, then it seems to me that vtkTIFFWriter is doing the
correct thing by concatenating the images in the y-direction. It is
just writing pixels from each image into the file row-by-row: when it
finishes the first image, it starts back at row 0 in the second image
and continues writing, thus the concatenation along the y-axis.
Perhaps it's that your TIFF viewing program doesn't understand TIFF
volumes?

One other note: aren't the zimn and zmax arguments to
vtkTIFFReader::SetDataExtent() zero-based? That is, shouldn't your
code be

imageReader->SetDataExtent(0,299,0,299,0,49)

I wouldn't be surprised if setting the last to arguments to 1 and 50,
as you have in your example, causes problems.

-Cory

--
Cory Quammen
Department of Computer Science