[vtkusers] System Zlib -> metaio doesn't seem to work

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jul 31 15:01:18 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07 6:05 PM, Atwood, Robert C said:

>If I build VTK (current cvs ) using 'use-system-zlib' option, my
>application does not compile. However, if the option is 'off' then it
>compiles. That does not seem right, if the option is available it should
>function shouldn't it?
>
>It's on Redhat EL4 Gnu/Linux on a 64bit system

Are you sure your OS's zlib is 64 bit?  What version is your OS's zlib?
VTK's is 1.1.4, which is quite old.

Just to clarify, are you able to build the VTK libraries themselves?
(I'm curious, because I can't even build VTK with USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB ON, on
Mac OS X in 32bit.  I get link errors:

Undefined symbols:
  "_vtk_zlib_deflateInit_", referenced from:
      vtkmetaio::MET_PerformCompression(unsigned char const*, int,
unsigned int*)in libvtkmetaio.a(metaUtils.o)
      vtkmetaio::MET_PerformCompression(unsigned char const*, int,
unsigned int*)in libvtkmetaio.a(metaUtils.o)
      vtkmetaio::MET_PerformCompression(unsigned char const*, int,
unsigned int*)in libvtkmetaio.a(metaUtils.o)

etc.

Which seems quite similar to what you are seeing....

Mac OS X has zlib 1.2.3, and I suspect VTK can only work with 1.1.4.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com