[vtkusers] vtkBorlandRenderWindow - An exception occurred whilst rendering

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 31 13:26:36 EDT 2007

Jim,

I think the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is a system/env variable
for Linux users (with ATI cards), so it won't apply for you on Windows.
As for solving the problem, if you don't try some debugging
strategy, you probably won't figure out whether the problem
is with VTK or the vtkBorlandRenderWindow.  The suggested
debugging can dump to a text file for you the state of
objects from when you turned Debug to On up to the point
of program failure.  If you build VTK, vtkBorlandRenderWindow,
and your applicatoin in debug mode, you can probably go a lot
farther with debugging tools in the Borland IDE.  Keep us all posted
on what you find out...

Dean

Hi Dean,

  Thanks for your prompt response. My application has been running for
several years with a very limited number of complaints and it works fine
without any problem on my HP laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 graphics
card. Thanks for your recommendation. I will stay away from ATI and go for
nVidia.

  I have limited knowledge of programming and do not understand what I can
do with your suggested debugging. Is there any way to solve my problem? Is
the problem inside vtkBorlandRenderWindow or inside VTK in general?

  I installed the latest version of ATI Catalyst but the problem still
exists. Someone on this list suggested setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1. I
set this in Environmental Variables || User Variables table but no luck
either. Where shall I set this variable exactly, on Borland IDE or in
Windows Systems || Environmental Variables? What does this setting do?

  Thank you.

  Jim