[vtkusers] Problems with TIFF Writer while writing a volume

Enkelejda Tafaj lejda at gmx.de
Tue Jul 31 08:22:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm using the vtkTIFFWriter to convert a 8-bit tiff image sequence into a volume. In my application I go through following steps:

1. Using the vtkTiffReader I first read a sequence of 50 8-bit tiff images. Thereby I'm setting the file dimensionality to 3.

2. In a second step I'm using a Gaussian filter to smooth the image stack.

3. At the end i would like to write out the filter result as a volume. If i use the TIFFWriter like below, it writes out a concatenation of the image sequence along the y axis. I don't get a volume but one very long image.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Enkelejda

  // 1. reading image sequence
  vtkTIFFReader *imageReader = vtkTIFFReader::New();
  imageReader->SetFilePrefix("image_");
  imageReader->SetFilePattern("%s%.d.tif");
  imageReader->SetFileDimensionality(3);
  imageReader->SetDataExtent(0,299,0,299,1,50);
  imageReader->SetDataSpacing(1,1,1);
  imageReader->SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian();
  imageReader->UpdateWholeExtent();

  // 2. Some Filtering-...
  vtkImageMedian3D *filter = vtkImageMedian3D::New();
  filter->SetKernelSize(3,3,3);
  filter->SetInputConnection(imageReader->GetOutputPort());
  filter->UpdateWholeExtent();

  // 3. write out the result as a volume
  vtkTIFFWriter *volumeWriter = vtkTIFFWriter::New();
  volumeWriter->SetInputConnection(filter->GetOutputPort());
  volumeWriter->SetFileDimensionality(3);
  volumeWriter->SetFileName("test_volume.tif");
  volumeWriter->Write();