[vtkusers] Vtk programming on Mac OS X with Xcode

Jing jli023 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 10 23:28:28 EDT 2007

1. I checked one of the vtk libraries

dhcp-39pool-08:~/development/VTKBuild/bin jli023$ file libvtkCommon.a
libvtkCommon.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
libvtkCommon.a (for architecture ppc):  current ar archive random library
libvtkCommon.a (for architecture i386): current ar archive random library

Does the result mean that VTK was built as a Universal Binary? Is it related
to my problem when running VTK in release mode?

2. I checked the Cmake cache file in the VTKBuild folder, in which, the
modifier of build type is empty.

//Choose the type of build, options are: None(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS or
// CMAKE_C_FLAGS used) Debug Release RelWithDebInfo MinSizeRel.
//
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=

//Flags used by the compiler during all build types.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=' '

//Flags for C compiler.
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=' '

In such case, were the VTK libraries built in Debug mode or Release mode? I
guess my problem is that the Xcode project can not link to the right
libraries in Release mode.

3. I built a Xcode project for the Cone.cxx using CMake according to your
instruction in your previous reply. The project can run in both of Debug and
Release modes. Does it mean the VTK libraries work for both Debug and
Release modes? If it is ture, why the Xcode project created by myself does
not work in the Release mode?

Thanks a lot,

Jing