[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:34:45 EST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2007-01-18 11:43, Mike Jackson said:
>
>> And just following up with what I did to get Java/Vtk working
>> together:
>>
>> I am guessing somewhere in the CMakeLists.txt files for vtk there is
>> a missing link library (-framework JavaVM) for those that need it. I
>> manually edited the link.txt file to add this and the compile went
>> ok. As far as changing values in ccmake I changed the following:
>>
>> Build Shared libs: ON
>> Build Cocoa: ON (Java 1.4 and above in OS X is based on Cocoa, NOT
>> Carbon.. although I would think Carbon might work also since VTKJava
>> is simply passing through JNI for the calls)
>> RPATH: ON
>> Testing: OFF
>> Examples: OFF
>> Java Wrapping: ON
>> Carbon: OFF
>> X: OFF
>
> This thread is getting confusing. :)  If I understand right, you are
> saying, basically, that there is a bug in vtk making it impossible to
> build in this particular configuration, right?
>
> If so, it is disturbing that no dashboard has detected this!
>
> This one: <http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/midworld.kitware/
> DarwinG5-c+
> +-cocoa/20070118-0300-Nightly/Notes.html> has:
>
> Build Shared libs: ON
> Build Cocoa: ON
> RPATH: whatever default is (OFF i think)
> Testing: ON
> Examples: ON
> Java Wrapping: ON
> Carbon: OFF
> X: default (OFF)
>
> And it builds fine.  What do you think is making the difference?

Well, for one thing - if I'm reading this correctly, the above
dashboard build was done on a G5.

the problems I'm seeing are on a Mac Book Pro (an Intel-based Mac).

I don't know how much this matters.

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/