[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:59:56 EST 2007

Current status:

Starting with the latest official release (NOT the CVS repository), I
started with an "accept all defaults" build and slowly changed this
to get to this point:

                                                     Page 1 of 1
BUILD_EXAMPLES                   ON
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.4
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES          i386
CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT                /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY             -framework Python
PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH              /usr/include/python2.3
PYTHON_LIBRARY                   /usr/lib/libpython2.3.dylib
VTK_DATA_ROOT                    /Users/kennethsloan/kitware/
VTK-5-0-2/VTKData
VTK_USE_CARBON                   OFF
VTK_USE_COCOA                    ON
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
VTK_USE_RPATH                    OFF
VTK_USE_X                        OFF
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  ON
VTK_WRAP_TCL                     ON

make
[ 65%] Building CXX object Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingJava.dir/
vtkCocoaRenderWindowJava.o
Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkRenderingJava.dylib
ld: Undefined symbols:
_JAWT_GetAWT
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkRenderingJava.5.0.2.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingJava.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

So, I'm back to square one.  Tonight, I'll try some of the fixes
suggested in previous e-mails, having to do with specifying the path
to the Java AWT library.

Now, at least, I have a complete log of what I did to get to this
point, and the ONE change to ccmake's options that broke things.  The
build immediately before this one had VTK_WRAP_JAVA  OFF, and
everything else was exactly the same.  That build completed with no
errors.

Java itself (jre and jdk) are running just fine (I have a number of
Java programs developed completely on this machine - all compile and
execute as expected).  But, I'm a novice with the Mac OS X
conventions on where things are kept, and even more of a novice with
ccmake and friends (so I need a lot of handholding to make changes).

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.  I'm back where I started,
but I think I understand the mechanisms just a little bit better (so
I might understand your suggestions) AND we have a demonstration that
things build correctly on this machine with everything EXCEPT Java -
and break when we turn Java on.

On the back burner, for the moment, is the question of why the
current CVS version of the source does not compile on my machine.
I'm (personally) not going to care about that for the moment - except
that I don't think the suggestion "try the CVS source" will be useful.

I suspect we now REALLY need someone who knows VTK, Mac OS X, AND Java.

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/