[vtkusers] Please help a frustrated user.

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:55:57 EST 2007

the simple, but not really the best way, to use cmake is to "cd" into
the top level of one of the sample app directories. When in there
type "cmake ." This will run cmake on the current directory and
configure everything for you. If you want something a bit more
interactive type "ccmake ." instead. Fill in any missing paths. Type
"c" to configure (while running ccmake) and then "g" to generate
(again while running ccmake) and if everything works ccmake should
exit. Now just type "make" and the app should compile.

Now with that said, cmake REALLY would like you to do an "out of
source" build instead. This insulates the source tree from the build
tree and turns out to be _really_ handy. So to do this try the
following:

  Change Directory into the parent directory of one of the Example
Programs:

[mjackson at Thor:~]$ cd /VTK-5.0.2/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/
[mjackson at Thor:~]$ mkdir Cxx-Build
[mjackson at Thor:~]$ cd Cxx-Build
[mjackson at Thor:~]$ ccmake ../Cxx
    Type "c" to configure and then "g" to generate make files
[mjackson at Thor:~]$ make

That should be all there is to it. If everything is "installed"
correctly, cmake and vtk, then this should just work. Let us know if
it does not.

Cheers

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer