[vtkusers] MPEG2writer patented?

Michael Knopke Michael.Knopke at gmx.de
Mon Feb 26 12:35:51 EST 2007

Hi guys,
I just saw that the description for class "vtkMPEG2writer" changed from official version 5.02 to actual cvs. Now (in cvs) it says that some parts are patented and therefor this class cannot be used in commercial versions (anymore?). I guess this applies to the official 5.02 release of VTK as well. Formerly VTK had special libs (called patented) but the got rid of it to remain free. How come there is a patented class in a free Toolkit without warning? Is there a way to get mpeg writer to work with free codecs (e.g. FFMPEG)

Michael