[vtkusers] only half of Cone examples work in Linux

Matthew McCormick mmmccormick at wisc.edu
Fri Feb 23 00:39:17 EST 2007

First, props to Mathieu, Andy, Jimmy, Maik, Linnenkohl, Vyger, et al. who
put up the VTK_OpenGL wiki entries.

I compiled and the CVS version of VTK from last weekend on my Mepis (based
on Ubuntu Dapper) distribution. When I run Cone examples 1-3, they seem to
work fine, but Cone examples 4-6 have a window with a correct background,
but no visible cones. There are no errors in the console. Here is what I am
working on:

Pentium4 Dell Dimension 4700
2.6.19.2 kernel
Graphics card:
product: 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation

I have the packages version 6.4.1-0ubuntu8 installed of the following
libgl1-mesa
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libglu1-mesa
libglu1-mesa-dev

As suggested in the wiki, I downloaded and compiled MesaLib-6.5.2 and
enabled VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA for a vtk build. All Cone examples work,
though it is much slower.

I also compiled under Cygwin, and hardware rendering worked for all Cone
examples there.

Tried compiling the .so for MesaLib-6.5.2 and entered the path at
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY, OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY, OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR,
OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR. It worked, but was slow even though
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA was OFF.

Thanks for any suggestions and incites.

Matt