[vtkusers] Mac OS 10.4.8, Intel, VTK 5.0 , java 1.5 crashes

Kustaa Nyholm Kustaa.Nyholm at planmeca.com
Thu Feb 22 04:13:20 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm using:

VTK 5.0.2 from source code
Mac OS X 10.4.8 (on Dual Core Intel)
CMake 2.4.6 using binary from Mac .dmg image
Java version 1.5.0_07
JRE build 1.5.0_07-164
Hot Spot 1.5.0_07-87

compiled with shared libs on and carbon on.

When I try to run the SimpleRayTrace.java from

http://ij-plugins.sourceforge.net/vtk-examples/index.html

the java crashes with the attached log.

I noticed from this recent post that something similar is happening
others:

http://www.nabble.com/Invalid-memory-access-of-location-under-java-OSX-Cocoa-tf3177948.html#a8818416

The post suggest that carbon (which I'm using) is better than cocoa and
that creating
vtkCanvas before windows helps. Now I'm not sure what the later means in
practical terms.
The sample code seems to extend AWT Canvas so I'm not sure how to go
about trying this.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated, as always,

br Kusti

P.S. I need to send the chrashlog separately as my mail client is
limited to 30K chars.

Kustaa Nyholm
Research Manager, Software
Research and Technology Division
PLANMECA OY
Asentajankatu 6
00880 HELSINKI
FINLAND

Please note our new telephone and fax numbers!
Tel: +358 20 7795 572 (direct)
Fax: +358 20 7795 676
GSM: +358 40 580 5193
e-mail: kustaa.nyholm at planmeca.com

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
e-mail is strictly forbidden. We will not be liable for direct,
indirect, special or consequential damages arising from alteration of
the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any
virus being passed for viruses.