[vtkusers] Re: Fill contours with Pixels

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Tue Feb 13 16:49:09 EST 2007

Mike Jackson wrote:
> I have a 3D triangle mesh that I am trying to close the "Holes" on. This
> mesh is pretty complex and although I have searched the archives I have
> not found anything that has worked out. The main problem being that a
> "contour" line can traverse 2 or more planes.
>    So what I was thinking was to extract the contour loops just at the
> boundary surface. This gives nice loops. Now if I could somehow "fill"
> those loops with solid pixels, convert the whole thing to a voxel
> volume, I believe I have a way to "extract surface" of the new voxel
> volume, triangulate it, than append and merge to the original mesh. I
> have used this type of technique before with good success. I just need
> to fill the interiors of loops with a solid color.
>   Are there any filters that might do this? Anything in ITK? I'll ask on
> that list next.
>
> Thanks
> --Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer
> Innovative Management & Technology Services

Hi Mike,

There is a very simple class that encapsulates a pipeline that
triangulates boundary loops here:
http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vtkTesselateBoundaryLoops.htm

Just FYI, the Standord Computer Graphics Lab has much more sophisticated
stuff here:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/volfill/

hth

Goodwin