[vtkusers] Building VTK 5.0.2 with CygWin

Hendrik Belitz hbelitz at darkon.info
Tue Feb 13 02:55:10 EST 2007

Dear fellow VTK enthusiasts,

I just tried to build VTK under win32 using CygWin yesterday, but ultimately failed to accomplish this task. The first problem I encountered was the well-known "sh.exe in path error" for the MinGW-Generator of CMake.

I just used the Unix Makefile Generator instead, which produced a segmentation fault on calling make.exe

So deleted my CMakeCache.txt file and tried out the MSYS Generator instead, which lead to the following errors:

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P

CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable: CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. Some variables were always defined by CMake in versions prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have already set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or less) then you probably need to include a CMake module to test for the feature this variable defines.

Any hints so far how to solve this? Has anyone out there succesfully build a recent VTK version with CygWin and could give me a short introduction on how to do this?

Regards
 Hendrik