[vtkusers] Translating the view plane

Valeria Gallo g_luigi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 5 06:48:42 EST 2007

When I enable the stereo mode (anaglyph) on a volume rendered (with ray
casting) image, I can see the stereo only with positive parallax (I can see
the volume "inside" the screen, I can see its depth), but I want it comes
out from the screen (negative parallax, the volume is "outside" the screen).

With positive parallax the image from the left eye perspective is on the
left of the screen, and right eye's one is on the right, but there is no way
to have a negative parallax (the image from the right eye perspective on the
left side and vice versa).

Setting the EyeAngle to a negative value is not a solution, because the
right eye will see the image from the left eye perspective and vice versa,
while the goal is to see the image from the right eye perspective on the
left of the view plane (and vice versa).

I believe this is a limit in VTK, I'm trying to solve it moving the focal
point in a scene (moving the focal point toward the camera gives a negative
parallax view), but when I rotate the camera I have to recompute the correct
focal point position.

I'm sure there is another way to solve this problem, as example I could
translate the view plane beyond the object during the ray casting, but I
don't know if this is possible.

I'm waiting for an illuminating advice.

Valeria