[vtkusers] Re: VTK Java Wrapper - Crashes vs. Leaks

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Aug 28 14:59:59 EDT 2007

Hello,

Yes there is a bug in Java wrapped VTK such that memory does eventually
become exhausted. My change a few months back caused this, but was necessary
to prevent normal object accesses from randomly causing crashes.

>Questions:
>1. Are they any modifications somewhere else in the VTK library in order
>to prevent the above leaking?

Unfortunately I do not know of any effective and simple solutions.

>2. If not, do you have any suggestions/advices to guide us around the
>above problem by making a change in VTK itself or in our application?

In c++ applications, every vtkObject::New must be matched with a
corresponding vtkObject::Delete(), either manually or within
vtkSmartPointers. I would recommend doing something similar, but that
programming style is not well supported by Java, and my initial attempts at
trying it were unsuccessful.

2.1 Do you have any plan to fix the leakage problem or does it require a
major change in VTK?

Currently no one at Kitware is working on it. Solving it properly would
likely require more research time than any of our projects have allocated to
Java development. I would be more than happy to help apply, test and commit
any solutions that the community at large comes across.

Sincerely,
Dave DeMarle