[vtkusers] Skeleton of 3D Images

David, John john.david at uconn.edu
Mon Aug 27 08:03:41 EDT 2007

I'm new to VTK myself but found a vtkImageSkeleton2D (in version vtk-5.0.3).  The documentation states that it works by "erosion on a 3x3 neighborhood".  I'm used to hearing the term "medial axis" instead of skeleton.  I assume that they are are basically the same.  Finding the medial axis is something I am used to finding via Delaunay triangulation of on the edge pixels.  If vtkImageSkeleton2D does not do what you want, you might also want to take a look at AutoTrace <http://autotrace.sourceforge.net>.  If you do not find what you need in a week or so email me back and I'll scan my notes and see if I can find some other references for you.

Hope that helps,

  EBo --