[vtkusers] VTK Problem Upon Python 2.5 Upgrade

Shari Rolnick shari at loralee.net
Sun Aug 19 20:58:13 EDT 2007

Okay.  I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .bash_profile file, but it still doesn't
work.  Here's the output:

[shari at localhost ~]$ source .bash_profile
[shari at localhost ~]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:
[shari at localhost ~]$ python -c "import vtk"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/src/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py", line 29, in
<module>
    from common import *
  File "/usr/local/src/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/common.py", line 7, in
<module>
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: libvtkCommonPythonD.so.5.0: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
[shari at localhost ~]$

> Did you enable VTK_WRAP_PYTHON ?

Yes, I built VTK with that option turned on.

> BTW, your python seems to looking for in /usr/local/src, looks
> weird to me...

I think that was just my inept installation.  I put the source code for VTK
there, but when I built it, I think I just built it in place rather than
giving it a different directory.  Will that hurt anything?

Thank you again!

Shari