[vtkusers] volume data

Ross Eldridge ross.eldridge at kitware.com
Wed Aug 15 11:37:39 EDT 2007

Vlad-

At the moment, all you can volume render in VTK are vtkImageData (and
its subclasses) or a vtkUnstructuredGrid.  If possible, I would have
tried to have your data as a vtkImageData (of which vtkStructuredPoints
is a subclass), as using a vtkVolumeRayCastMapper (which only takes
ImageData) is one of the faster methods of volume rendering.

If your data is in a structured grid, I would suggest converting it to
an unstructured grid using vtkDataSetTriangleFilter.  Once you have a
vtkUnstructuredGrid, you should be able to volume render it using a
vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper, which volume renders unstructured grids.
As long as your data isn't too large, you should be able to volume
render it easily.

-Ross