[vtkusers] Porting to VTK 5

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Aug 7 08:16:32 EDT 2007

Joel,

I don't know of a specific porting guide. Perhaps the new books for
VTK 5 have a guide for porting from 4.5.

If you haven't tried it already, you might just try to recompile and
run your applications. I've developed an application in VTK 4.2 and
upgraded to 5.0. It required only a single change to eliminate a
depreciated class method. You might be as lucky.

If you have a few specific compiler/runtime errors/warnings, the list
could probably answer them. You might document what you find at the
VTK FAQ wiki at http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ.

Cory

On 8/7/07, Joel Schaerer <joel.schaerer at insa-lyon.fr> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> today fedora introduced the new vtk 5 rpms as an official part of the
> distribution, so I decided to upgrade from vtk4.5. I'm now trying to port my
> existing code, but I haven't been able to find a guide to porting applications
> from 4.x to 5.x; or even a release notes document. I assume there has to be
> something of this sort, could you please help me find it?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> joel
> --
> Joël Schaerer
> PhD. Student
> Advisors: Patrick Clarysse, Isabelle Magnin
> CREATIS-LRMN, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U630
> INSA de Lyon
> 7 rue Jean Capelle bat. Blaise Pascal, 4ème étage
> F-69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
> France
> Tel (+33) 4 72 43 89 17
> Fax (+33) 4 72 43 85 26