[vtkusers] VTK/Java/Swing - components flickering - direct draw problem?

Eran Guendelman erang at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 2 16:21:01 EDT 2007

We are using VTK in a Java application with Swing UI components.  The
VTK canvas is showing an animated figure, and we have a slider in a
different panel which controls the current time of the animation.  So
scrubbing back and forth on the slider forces redraws of the VTK canvas.

Sometimes our application gets into a state where our slider jumps back
and forth as we're dragging on it... essentially every redraw it
alternates from being under the mouse (where it should be) and in some
other random location (which seems to be a stale back buffer or
something).  It's really weird -- on a dual monitor computer, if you
move the application window to one monitor this happens while moving it
to the other monitor it stops happening, and hard to reproduce -- every
few days or weeks it might happen for a few hours and then stop.  Over
time we've figured it's probably some weird double buffering/direct draw
problem.

Just now I confirmed that if I turn off hardware acceleration (for the
NVIDIA card, through Windows' Display Settings dialog) this stops
happen... so again it's most likely some direct draw problem.

So I was just wondering, have other people experienced this?  And is it
possible to fix this without requiring hardware acceleration to be
turned off for the whole computer?

Thanks.