[vtkusers] Trying to understand the vtkImageReslice

Luca Pamparana luca.pamparana at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:52:41 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the vtkImageReslice code. First of all, hats off to whoever
wrote this. This object can do so many things!

Anyway, I was trying to understand how the reslicing algorithm actually
works.

So, I specify a 4 x4 matrix in the form of the reslice axes direction
cosines and I have the input data. So, if my specified reslice axes now is

(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0). Can someone tell me what the reslicer is doing
from the mathematical perspective. Is the reslice matrix interpreted as a
rotation matrix and the image data is now multiplied by this rotation
matrix?

Thanks and sorry for this beginner question.

Luca