[vtkusers] Reducing memory usage for vtkPointLocator

Mark Gooding mark.gooding at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:37:03 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm using a vtkPointLocator to find points with a vtkStructuredGrid,
however the pointlocator uses a huge amount of memory. The datasets
are quite large (~25MB) , but point locator seems to be using about
500MB. At the moment I have it set to use defualt settings, and I
appreciate that I can edit the bucket size etc, but I'm not sure how
these should be optimised to reduce memory usage. Currently I would
have to resort to trial and error to find the best option. Also I
assume the best settings would depend on each individual dataset to
some extent. Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Mark