[vtkusers] System Zlib -> metaio doesn't seem to work

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Aug 1 10:12:06 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07 10:25 PM, Atwood, Robert C said:

>Yes it is a 64 bit libz and 32 bit is installed also,
>Yes the vtk installation  builds (but shared libs is off, and examples
>are  off)
>Perhaps if examples or shared libs is on, you get the errors?

They are both off for me.

> I don't
>get the error for the same program but changed to not use the metaio
>subsystem, and just useing the example .vtk file for input. Which is too
>bad because the .mhd format is what I mostly use !
>
>Any ways, for now I've changed to not use system zlib.

I think I'm starting to understand this... the link errors are like:

Undefined symbols:
  "_vtk_zlib_deflateInit_", referenced from:
      vtkmetaio::MET_PerformCompression(unsigned char const*, int,
unsigned int*)in libvtkmetaio.a(metaUtils.o)

It can't find vtk_zlib_deflateInit_() to link to.  Of course, in the
system zlib there is no such function, but there is a deflateInit().
The additional prefix comes from VTK's vtk_zlib_mangle.h.

I searched all of VTK for "vtk_zlib_mangle.h" and it occurs twice, if I
remove both the lines that use it, I am able to build with 'use system
zlib'.  Robert, can you try the same?  It would help to know if the
works on a different OS too.

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com