[vtkusers] Anti-aliasing text - Performance

Philip Schuchardt ohc at vt.edu
Sun Apr 8 00:35:32 EDT 2007

After investageting text rendering more deeply,  I have concluded that the
implementation of the vtkTextActors has excellent performance. The
performance is equivalent to straight FTGL(obviously since vtkTextActors use
FTGL).  It just shows that vtkTextActors do not have very much overhead.

I was trying to use the CaptionActor2D in my program.  For some reason I
thought that the anti aliased vtkTextActor(FTGLPixmap) was causing the slow
down.  Really,  the caption actor was noticeably slower and  under my tests,
I found the CaptionActor2D to be 400% slower then just the plain
vtkTextActor.

Philip Schuchardt