[vtkusers] Anti-aliasing text - Performance

Philip Schuchardt ohc at vt.edu
Fri Apr 6 23:32:17 EDT 2007

After testing and hacking up the vtkFreeTypeUtilities.cxx, I found out that
anti-aliased fonts do not cause a significant performance hit.  I do not know
openGL very well.  After skimming through the VTK source, it seems to me that
VTK has an extra openGL overhead while rendering each actor.  The rendering
overhead probably causing the performance hit while trying to render 1000
textactors.  In the next couple of weeks, I want to pound out a text manager
that renders text more quickly, without the overhead.  This manager would
also have text collision detection so string don't write over each other.
Any suggestions?

Philip Schuchardt