[vtkusers] Problem with cursoring in vtkImagePlaneWidget

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 13 17:37:18 EDT 2006

Hi Peter,

vtkIPW, like most widgets, is designed to respond to events.
Once it has received an LeftButtonPressEvent event it sets its
internal state to start cursoring (if the mouse is clicked on the
plane), then it waits for either a series of MouseMoveEvent events
to do the cursoring or until a LeftButtonReleaseEvent event occurs
to terminate cursoring.  Therefore, other actors and widgets cannot
respond to events until after vtkIPW has finished with the "focus".

>moving the cursor from one plane to another would have its use, but this is
>not what I'm trying to do. The problem is that selecting a different plane
>with the left mouse button does not work. I know that it can/should work,
>because I've seen it in other applications. So I'm wondering what might be
>the cause of this behaviour.

I'm not sure what you mena when you say

>selecting a different plane with the left mouse button does not work

Do you mean that you are trying to select a new plane after releasing
the left mouse button?  When I run VTK/Examples/GUI/Tcl/ImagePlaneWidget.tcl
all functionality appears to work fine (current VTK cvs).  If you can
provide a similar (simpler) tcl example using image data from VTKData
that illustrates the problem then perhaps I can help further...

Dean