[vtkusers] How to - Installing VTK on Apple OS 10.4.8 Mac Book Pro for the purposes of Cocoa

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Oct 30 12:38:58 EST 2006

Hi guys,

On 2006-10-30 12:22, Mike Jackson said:

>Just my 2 Cents..
>
>After you do a "make", you need to do a "make install" and the headers
>_should_ be copied into the location that is defined in the
>CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable, which by default is set to /usr/local.

Ah, it's probably the lack of 'make install'... slipped my mind!

>Yes, on a virgin OS X install /usr/local is NOT available.
>Sudo mkdir /usr/local
>Sudo chmod g+w /usr/local <== This gives at least admins write privs

Many people don't have superuser access, so I suggest we document how to
change the path so it can be installed in the home folder somewhere.

>The other suggestion is to just use the released version of VTK at the time.
>I know there are Dashboards for testing but a new user using the latest from
>CVS _could_ potentially download on a day when the OS X build is broke. This
>is going to lead to lots of confusion.

Good idea.  The release versions are unlikely to be broken on the Mac
these days.

>Plus if there are changes from release to release it can be noted in your
>document that for a given release certain things apply.
>
>Other than that, the doc looks great. I hope to see it incorporated into the
>SimpleVTK project and maybe the VTK Wiki..

Yes, it would be good in the wiki too!

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com