[vtkusers] Re: Saving actors and their current transformations (camera angle and orientation)

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Tue Oct 24 05:24:28 EDT 2006

Taro Trabish wrote:

> thanks,
> I tried  the vtkVRMLImporter/Exporter and it seemed to work but for some
> reason if I move the actors (rotate, move, etc) and perform the save
> operation, the load operation doesn't bring back the actor in the
> current transformation... they seemed to be in the original state when I
> loaded them up before I used the interactor (mouse) to move them
> around.  But when I do simple mouse interactions it works but when I
> play with the actors for about 1 minute moving and rotating the import
> doesnt bring back what I exported.
>
> Do u know what the problem might be.  I usually see the problem when I
> rotate some actors by 180 degrees.  When I export and import, I dont get
> back the fact that it was rotated 180 degrees.
>
> Does VTK keep a internal "final" transformation from the start till
> end... basically what info does the exporter know to use when exporting
> the postion of the actors?

Hi Taro,

The exporter writes out the final actor transformation matrix and the
importer reads the matrix in... I don't know why the code would be
dependent of the amount of interaction.

Do you have a script that reproduces the problem? If you have, file it
as a bug on the tracker http://www.vtk.org/Bug

Goodwin