[vtkusers] Need Help On Premitive Objects

Vladimir Lazunin lazunin.v.aa at m.titech.ac.jp
Sun Nov 26 20:58:04 EST 2006

1. If you need to read into VTK some specific data format not supported by
VTK readers - sure, you can do that. You should insert points coordinates
into vtkPoints instance, then assign ids to cells in vtkCellArray, then
assign these to a resulting object ( model->SetPoints(...),
model->SetPolys(...) ).
Or, perhaps, more elegant approach is to use vtkProgrammableSource object.
Loot at Examples\Modelling\.

2. Can't say anything about the rest of your question, but as for boundaries
and edges representation - maybe you need vtkFeatureEdges filter.

4. Yes. vtkSpline and it's heirs.

1.Now I guess I can build my own objects (my own element(s)) Is this right ?
if yes then how ?
2. Let's say that I only want to use splines to draw my element boundaries
and edges or I am willing to
    represent my elements by drawing their interpolation nodes. The question
is, is it fine if I create so many
    instances (say thousands or hundred's of thousands) of the same object
(say lines or dots) ?
    How should I do it to be     efficient ?
3. I need to draw many nodes as the very first step. Should I try spheres
for it or there exist another more proper object?

4. Are there any splines available in VTK libraries?

Many Thanks
Davood Ansari