[vtkusers] How to build VTK in python while working with Windows XP

Sven Prevrhal sven.prevrhal at radiology.ucsf.edu
Tue May 30 15:25:42 EDT 2006

Sure thing.

1. Get a C++ compiler (cygwin gcc, Visual Studio 7 and up etc will work
fine)
2. Get the source (for vtk 5.0, from here
http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.0/vtk-5.0.0.zip)
3. Install Python 2.4
4. Install CMake http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html
5. Use CMake to configure the vtk build: When you start it, it will ask you
for the directory containing the vtk sources and a directory where to build
(do not choose the source directory here!). Also choose the compiler you
want to use. After the first run of "Configure" a lot of cache values will
be shown. Set BUILD_SHARED_LIBS and VTK_WRAP_PYTHON to ON, then configure
again. If there are any problems (like CMake not finding your Python
installation), fix them and configure until they are all gone. Then hit OK.
CMake will configure the build and close
6. Navigate to the build directory and start your compiler. For instance,
for MS Visual Studio, you can simply double-click the .sln file. Make sure
the configuration is set to "Release" or "ReleaseWithDebugInfo" (by default
it's "Debug" which causes problems later.) Choose a full build and start it.
7. Go for a coffee or two as this will run a long time.
8. In your python install directory, navigate to Libs\site-packages and
create a text file named vtk.pth. It should contain the following three
lines

E:\users\sprevrhal\packages\VTK-nightly-22MAR06\Wrapping\Python
E:\users\sprevrhal\packages\VTK-nightly-22MAR06\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk
E:\users\sprevrhal\packages\VTK-nightly-22MAR06\bin\release

where the E:\users\sprevrhal\packages\VTK-nightly-22MAR06 part needs to be
replaced with the path to your vtk build directory.

If something goes wrong, be sure to check the mailing list archives
http://www.kitware.com/searchpublic.html

- Sven