[vtkusers] Mangled Mesa Volume Rendering

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Wed May 10 14:02:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 12:23 -0500, Randall Hand wrote:
> OH, you aren't supposed to instantiate the vtkMesa classes directly..
>
> Instead, you should tell the Factories to use Mesa Objects, and that
> will be done for you automagically.  Put something like this at the
> top:
>
>     // Indicate that we want to use Mesa Offscreen
>     vtkGraphicsFactory *factGraphics = vtkGraphicsFactory::New();
>     factGraphics->SetUseMesaClasses(1);
>     factGraphics->Delete();
>
>     vtkImagingFactory *factImage = vtkImagingFactory::New();
>
>     factImage->SetUseMesaClasses(1);
>     factImage->Delete();
>

> Fyi, this has been dealt with before:
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2005-March/078880.html
>
> Kitware guys, is there anything that can be done to make this a bit
> more "explicit"?  Like put something in the mesa-object construtors to
> see if the factories are configured for Mesa Classes & spit out a
> warning or an error?

AhhhhhHa! Yes that works! Thank you!

I now have BOTH graphics AND imaging factories at the beginning.

I was just following VTK/Examples/MangledMesa/Tcl/OffScreenCone.tcl
which has only the graphics factory and explicitly uses the mesa
classes.

Could the example be changed? I wouldn't mind if the attached were used
as another example. I could clean it up and comment it or do whatever.

Now for the MPI and movie parts...