[vtkusers] Problem with vtkStructuredPointsReader with field data in VTK 5.0

David Cash dave_cash at pathfindertherapeutics.com
Thu Mar 30 10:34:32 EST 2006

I have a vtkStructuredPoints file that contains field data and was
written using vtkStructuredPointsWriter.
When trying to read this file using vtkStructuredPointsReader in VTK
4.4,  everything works fine. However, when attempting to read this file
with the version in VTK 5.0 a vtkErrorMacro pops up saying "Not all meta
data was read form(sic) the file" (associated with line 297 of
vtkStructuredPointsReader.cxx), and the StructuredPoints output has
incorrectly sets the NumberOfScalarComponents to 1, despite the data
having 3 scalar components and the scalars Array in the point data
claiming to have three components. This issue happens whether I am using
a  StructuredPoints file written out using VTK 4.4 or VTK 5.0, but only
when reading in VTK 5.0.
My apologies if this issue has been discussed before, but I couldn't
find anything related in the newsgroup or the bug tracker.
Thanks,
David Cash