[vtkusers] Blank [White] Dicom images

Nikolaus Heger nikolaus.heger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 22:42:05 EST 2006

I am trying to read some DICOM images into VTK with very little success.

I am using the vtkTkRenderWidget.py wrapper for Tk / Python to
display the resulting images.

vtk 4.4 used to work on my Laptop with a ATI X600 graphics card as
long as the textures were under 2000x2000. I assumed that this was
due to not enough VRAM on the card.
My new laptop has an ATI X1600 with 256 actual VRAM and 512M
Hypermemory so it should be fine for the larger images... or are the
ATI drivers simply not able to display these?

Can I resample the images to 2000x2000, and how is that done? I
remember trying that before but it didn't have any effect - e.g. I
could do it, but still got white images. I ended up having to take
the image sources, convert them to JPG, then resize the JPGs with an
external program - then they would show up ok.

Because of the nature of the program, that's not an option anymore.
We need to have a pure python/vtk solution for displaying those
images, and the conversion from DICOM -> display already takes a
really long time, I think because of the involvement of the Conquest
DICOM server...

Any help and/or possible causes would be appreciated. I highly
suspect the ATI driver, but... who knows...

	Nik

PS: We are experimenting with VTK 5.0 but it seems to crash whenever
it tries to read our DICOM images. Not usable at the moment.