[vtkusers] vtkImageReslice speed

alex. gouaillard Alexandre.Gouaillard at Sun.COM
Sun Mar 26 22:14:22 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 02:15, David Gobbi wrote:
> Hi Lyubomir,
>
> There is nothing special about the number "256" in vtkImageReslice,
> so the loss of performance is probably due to a secondary issue.
>
> For example, if you are using vtkImageActor or vtkImagePlaneWidget
> to display the image, note that the size of the OpenGL texture is
> always
> a power of two, so an image that is 257 pixels on a side will be
> displayed
> on a texture that is 512 pixels on a side.

well, OpenGl has been handling non power of two textures for several
years already (see
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_non_power_of_two.txt). Depending on your implementation of OpenGl that is more or less supported, but I assume Mesa would. Is there any reason why this happen in VTK (i.e. is it hard-coded?).

alex