[vtkusers] Re: What's Wrong With This?!?

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 13:00:10 EST 2006

Hello Charl,

    thank you for your answer. Ok, I am using Numpy to generate the grid,
and this is not good. Well, how am I supposed to actually represent the
data? My real data comes from a grid file built externally by another
application: I simply read it in a matrix and try to pass it to VTK as a
matrix. What a VTK user should do instead? Should I always pass through the
construction of a vtk file (using pyvtk) and then re-read it into memory?
This would be quite slow...

However, I found a couple of things:

1) As Charl suggested, using the debug build of VTK, I found that the error
comes from line 328 of vtkdataarraytemplate.txx, in which I get:

"Unhandled exception at 0x019e30db (vtkCommon.dll) in Python.exe"

This line says:

  for(int j=0; j < this->NumberOfComponents; ++j)
    {
    this->Tuple[j] = static_cast<double>(t[j]);
    }
  return this->Tuple;

2) Doing the 2-steps method:

a) vtks = pyvtk.VtkData(pyvtk.StructuredGrid([nx, ny, nz], MyMatrix))
    vtks.tofile("MyFile.vtk", "ascii")

b) grid = vtk.vtkStructuredGridReader()
    grid.SetFileName("MyFile.vtk")
    surfaceMapper = vtk.vtkDataSetMapper()
    surfaceMapper.SetInput(grid.GetOutput())

works: VTK doesn't crash. But this method may become very slow if I have,
say, 200,000 cells or more (and I have them)...

Is there other things I could try?

Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.

Andrea.