[vtkusers] Purpose of vtkDisplayListPainter

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 23 10:07:20 EST 2006

The vtkDisplayListPainter works in conjunction with another painter.
Assuming immediate mode rendering is off, the first call to
vtkDisplayListPainter::Render compiles a display list by calling Render
on another painter wrapped around glNewList and glEndList.  Subsequent
calls to vtkDisplayListPainter::Render simply call the display list
created to effectively do what the other painter would render, but
faster.

vtkDisplayListPainter generally speeds up the rendering of any other
painter, although there is a penalty of extra memory consumption and an
added overhead every time the data changes.

-Ken