[vtkusers] What's Wrong With This?!?

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:51:08 EST 2006

Hello Charl & NG,

    thank you very much for your answer. Well, the scalar range doesn't mean
a lot since the grid has all coordinates equal to zero. You can easily
remove it and VTK will still crash. I have tried the script also with my
real grid data (60,000 cells) and it crashes anyway.
This is somewhat strange because it worked with VTK 4.4/4.5 CVS the last
time I used it (almost 1 year ago) and wxPython 2.6.1.0.
Now I am going to try VTK 4.4 from the website and see if it works. If it
doesn't work, I will try to downgrade wxPython to 2.6.1.0. If this one
doesn't work, I don't know what to do. It looks like a bug somewhere.
Now, a couple of questions:

1) Which are the disadvantages of downgrading VTK to 4.4 wrt 5.0? Is
5.0faster in visualization or has it some magic that
4.4 misses?
2) I have downloaded from the website, together with the zipped source file,
also the Windows binary installer: once I run it, I get some tcl files and a
15 MB vtk.exe file, and nothing more. What this executable is supposed to
do? In which way I can use it? It seems to me that it does nothing but a
black TK window, that is not very useful...

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/