[vtkusers] memory management

Paul Tait - OPES Paul at opes.com.au
Mon Mar 20 19:02:52 EST 2006

That just sounds like normal windows memory management. check out memory
useage of explorer max/min and maybe do some reading on working set sizes

Hello all,
I'm using vtk under windows and I'm getting some weird behavior.  My data
sets are around 120MB in XML.  I'm using vtkXMLImageDataReader to read them
in.  They're then passed through vtkImageData, vtkImageChangeInformation and
vtkImageReslice before being turned into vtk2DActors.  At this point, my
memory usage is around 500MB (the above pipeline actually exists three times
and there's some other stuff in there).  I tried cleaning this up with the
DataReleaseFlag to no avail.   However when I minimize my application, the
memory goes down to virtually nothing.  Then when I maximize it again, the
memory is very moderate (~200MB) and barely changes at all.  Though this
doesn't occur when I move the app to the background (switch to another open
app).  What exactly is going on at this point?  Is vtk caching some image
data that gets released when the app is minimized?  Is there a way to
manually do whatever is being done?

Thanks in advance!
Joe