[vtkusers] memory management

Melnyk, Joe jmelnyk at sharedpet.com
Mon Mar 20 09:47:11 EST 2006

Hello all,
I'm using vtk under windows and I'm getting some weird behavior.  My data sets are around 120MB in XML.  I'm using vtkXMLImageDataReader to read them in.  They're then passed through vtkImageData, vtkImageChangeInformation and vtkImageReslice before being turned into vtk2DActors.  At this point, my memory usage is around 500MB (the above pipeline actually exists three times and there's some other stuff in there).  I tried cleaning this up with the DataReleaseFlag to no avail.   However when I minimize my application, the memory goes down to virtually nothing.  Then when I maximize it again, the memory is very moderate (~200MB) and barely changes at all.  Though this doesn't occur when I move the app to the background (switch to another open app).  What exactly is going on at this point?  Is vtk caching some image data that gets released when the app is minimized?  Is there a way to manually do whatever is being done?

Thanks in advance!
Joe