[vtkusers] Re: VTK 5.0 build problem; VTKBuildAll, custom rules

David Marshburn marshbur at cs.unc.edu
Fri Mar 17 18:37:52 EST 2006

- just hitting 'build' again (the idea being that there is something that
doesn't work the first time through but that does the second).  no
improvement.

- turning off VTK_USE_PARALLEL.  (apparently there had been some conflict
between parallel and java).  no improvement.

- build the class files manually then hit 'build' again.  i did this on
the command line in cygwin and got the same errors.

i looked in .../vtk/bin/java/vtk/.  the only .java files there are the
various *Driver.java files, and the build fails on
vtkJavaCommonDriver.java, claiming unresolved symbols.  this makes sense,
since the java files for all the vtk classes haven't been created yet.

it seems like the rest of the java files at least need to be generated, if
not compiled, before VTKBuildAll runs.  if, in visual studio, i add
dependencies on all the vtk*JavaJavaClasses project, then everything
continues fine to completion.

i don't know the cmake-ism to create the VTKBuildAll.dsp with dependencies
on the vtk*JavaJavaClasses projects.  however, since this seems to be a
solution to a non-unique problem, would it be possible for someone who
does know something about how cmake creates the .dsp files to make
VTKBuildAll.dsp have these dependencies, please?  or give me a brief hint
how to do so or where to look?

-david