[vtkusers] Converting triangulated data to voxels

Santosh Tiwari stiwari at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Mar 13 06:06:01 EST 2006

Hello all,

In my project, I need to convert a 3D object data (in triangulated format)
into voxels of desired resolution.

I had the 3D data in STL format. I have converted it into gts format
(gts.sourceforge.net) but I am not using the gts library with my code. At
present, I am doing all the manipulations using my code and not using any
external library. I can change the object format from gts to any other
triangulated format if desired.

I want to specify a grid size (either in terms of voxel size or in terms of
number of voxels).

I need to do this process repeatedly in my program (several thousand times
with different objects of varying levels of complexity).

Can I use the vtk library to accomplish the task? if yes, how?

If anyone already has a code snippet that makes use of the library to convert
a triangulated data into voxels, can you share the code with me?

I have never used vtk before (came to know about it via google an hour earlier
and have been exploring mailing lists, docs etc and found vtxmodeler class
but am not sure if it will do my job). I know C and C++ only.

Thank you very much in advance.

With regards,
--
Santosh Tiwari