[vtkusers] use of vtkGenericCellTessellator

Alle Meije Wink alle_meije at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 09:55:59 EST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to use a vtkProbeFilter to sample a plane inside a volume
(3D image). my plane is not an implicit funcion, or an evenly sampled
grid, though. It is a hyperplane built up of triangles of different
sizes, of type vtkPolyData.
The result is that, when I probe inside the volume, I get a number of
coloured triangles, which differ in size and have a much lower
resolution than the volume itself.
I tried subdivision, but because of the difference in size of the
triangles, the sampling with the subdivided surface takes loads of time
and doesn't even look particularly good.
I thought that a tesselation of the (points/lines of the?) vtkPolydata
that makes up the plane might yield an evenly and highly enough sampled
plane. Problem: I can't get it to work.
I'm trying to fit it into a tcl script, but the only documentation on
how to use vtkGenericCellTessellator is the test code in the
documentation. It's in C++, and I can't really see how to make it work
from that code.
Does anyone know if (and possibly: how) it is possible to go from a
vtkPolyData representing a plane, to a tesselated surface? If it is
possible to see some example tcl code that would be great!

Thanks
Alle Meije