[vtkusers] vtkActor and rendering Speed advice

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:11:39 EST 2006

Hello all;
     I am trying to display a surface mesh that is read in from an
STL file at the moment. The stl is really a 3D representation of
distinct particles. For example in one file there are about 4300
"particles". I run the connectivity filter (actually a customized
version) the finds all the particles upon loading. I order to
facilitate some other functionality in my application I create a new
vtkActor for each particle instead of one vtkActor for ALL the
particles. I have noticed a real slow down in rendering performance
when there are lots of smaller "particles" versions a low particle
count but high triangle count.
    My question is if I am going about the rendering the proper way?
Is there a scaling issue with using that many vtkActors in a scene?

Thank you for any help or advice.
--------
Mike Jackson
imikejackson <at> gmail <dot> com