[vtkusers] CrystalEyes stereo on an SGI Prism

Michael Scarpa m.scarpa at uva.nl
Wed Jun 28 11:05:00 EDT 2006

Jens,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:29:07PM +0100, Jens Thomas wrote:
> I'm trying to get VTK to work in stereo in CrystalEyes mode on an SGI
> Prism Extreme with 4 ATI FireGL X3 graphics pipelines and a Fakespace
> 1280x1024 Stereo Projection system.
>
> I've enabled the relevant bits in the program I'm using so that it
> enables CrystalEyes stereo in the vtkRenderWindow, but I'm at a bit of a
> loss as to what I need to configure to tell VTK to take advantage of the
> 4 pipes and to use the different projectors for the different eyes.
>
> Currently, when I try it, I get the following message:
>
> Adjusting stereo mode on a window that does not support stereo type
> CrystalEyes is not possible.
>
> If any one has any experience of doing this and can give me some
> pointers of how to go about this, I'd be most grateful.

Are you making sure that the render window you create is capable of
producing stereo images?  If I'm not mistaken, you have to call
vtkRenderWindow::StereoCapableWindowOn() (see VTK online documentation
for details) *before* any rendering is done.  Otherwise VTK complains if
you try to activate stereo rendering, because by default it does not
create a stereo-capable window.  I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Michael