[vtkusers] VTK 5.0 with Java Wrappings On OS X will not work

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:51:08 EDT 2006

There are a few things that come to mind in all of this. Dynamic Libs
on OS X sometimes have their paths embedded in the library itself so
when you link against them the target library or executable can know
where to find the source libs. This is OK for development when libs
and executables are not moving around, but in some circumstances
there can be problems with this setup, especially if you need to move
the final libs to another directory, like /Library/Java/Extensions
after compilation. The problem becomes when you move it to that new
locations, the loader is still expecting them in the old location
because that old location is encoded in the actual library itself.

Things that you might want to check are:
    ANY library that is built with CMake; Check each one with "otool -
L" and report what comes back. If you the path to your vtk build
directory then you have a few choices:
    1: in Cmake, check for "skip R path" - Make sure it is ON. This
will NOT embed the paths in the libraries. Now you can move the libs
to somewhere that java knows about, like /Library/java/Extensions.
    2: You can use "install_name_tool" to change the embedded paths.
This requires some up front knowledge of the libs, the initial path
encoded and the final path you want to encode. Read the man page for
this tool and google a bit to find all the caveats.

Try these things and let the list know. Maybe we can figure something
out...

--------
Mike Jackson
imikejackson <at> gmail <dot> com