[vtkusers] VTK 5.0 with Java Wrappings On OS X will not work

Vivek Dwivedi vivekd at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 26 10:28:12 EDT 2006

Hello:

After 3 weeks of frustration I have come to the conclusion that VTK
5.0 with Java Wrappings will not work on OS X 10.4.x.  I will detail
my steps below so that hopefully someone will tell me my mistakes.

my current hardware configuration:

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 - 2.5 GB DDR SDRAM
OS - Mac OS X 10.4.6
Java -
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

VTK - Downloaded from vtk.org version 5.0.0
CMAKE- CMake Version 2.4 - patch 2

Downloaded VTK as a .tar.gz and expanded to /Users/vivekd creating a
VTK folder
cd to VTK folder typed ccmake ../vtk

Here is the CCMAKE options:

BUILD_EXAMPLES                                              ON
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                                        ON
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY       2.4
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX                                /usr/local
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES                    ppc
CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT                                   /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk
VTK_DATA_ROOT
VTK_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
VTK_USE_CARBON                   			  OFF
VTK_USE_COCOA                   				  OFF
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 			  OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING               			  ON
VTK_USE_RPATH                    				  OFF
VTK_USE_X                        					  ON
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    				  ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  			  OFF
VTK_WRAP_TCL                     				  OFF

I configured

I then toggled to advanced mode and changed the following Paths:

JAVACOMMAND                      /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java
JAVA_ARCHIVE                     /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/jar
JAVA_AWT_INCLUDE_PATH            /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Headers
JAVA_AWT_LIBRARY                 -framework JavaVM -framework
JavaEmbedding
JAVA_COMPILE                     /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/javac
JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH                /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Headers
JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH2               /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Headers
JAVA_RUNTIME                     /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java

OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR               /usr/X11R6/include
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY                -framework OpenGL
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY               -framework AGL

Configured again and pressed g

In my prompt I typed Make

and after 45 min.  everything compiles fine with no errors.

I changed my DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the location of
the .jnilib and .dylib files which are in my bin directory located
at /Users/vivekd/VTK/bin using the following command

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Users/vivekd/VTK/bin

I then set my CLASSPATH to point to the vtk.jar file with the
following commands

setenv CLASSPATH .:/Users/vivekd/VTK/bin/vtk.jar

I then CD to /Examples/Tutorial/Step2/Java

I compiled the Cone2.java as follows:

javac Cone2.java

I then try to run Cone2.java as follows:

java Cone2

I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit
         at vtk.vtkConeSource.VTKInit(Native Method)
         at vtk.vtkObject.<init>(vtkObject.java:90)
         at vtk.vtkAlgorithm.<init>(vtkAlgorithm.java:238)
         at vtk.vtkPolyDataAlgorithm.<init>(vtkPolyDataAlgorithm.java:
58)
         at vtk.vtkConeSource.<init>(vtkConeSource.java:114)
         at Cone2.main(Cone2.java:43)

I have build and rebuilt VTK...I have placed the Cone2.java example
in the bin directory and compiled but I still get the same error......

Has anyone been able to get vtk with java wrappings to work on a

Any help and all help will be greatly appreciated.......

Thank you

-Vivek