[vtkusers] Assemblies and vtkInteractor pickers

Eugene Kim eugene at salk.edu
Wed Jun 21 21:18:24 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

 	I have a question on the default picker in the
vtkRenderWindowInteractor and thus classes like the
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor.  I know how to tailor a vtkPropPicker to
return to me not only assemblies but their respective paths, allowing me
to tease out the inidividual actor that was picked on screen, but I am not
able to do this with the pickers provided in the Renderwindowinteractor.
This seems to be because of the explicit GetViewProp() call in the C++
code, (that exists in vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor).  This results in
the picking of the top-level assembly only, and thus I cannot move
indiviudal actors.
 	Does anyone know how to fine-tune the behavior of the picker?  Is
it absolutely necessary to subclass vtkInteractorStyle or is there a
workaround?

Thanks,
Eugene